Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Horror Stories

The FDA estimates that over 200,000 people will quit smoking as a result of new labels that will be placed on packages of cigarettes beginning this fall.  I'll bet they are right.  The new labels show graphic, emotional images.  The one shown above is the LEAST graphic.  The images are bound to trigger emotions, and that is exactly how you can persuade people to change according to the business studies I've been reading such as The Heart of Change: Real-Life Stories of How People Change Their OrganizationsLeading Change, and Stomp the Elephant in the Office: Put an End to the Toxic Workplace, Get More Done -- and Be Excited About Work Again.

I'm trying to do this with my main project at work.  It's a new information system that makes sure equipment is run at technically correct settings to.  I'm sure the settings will be often be WRONG and inconsistent from line to line if my system is not used.  For years I've explained this logically.  I think my logic has been sound.  And who have I convinced?  A few friends, people who have done projects with me, and readers of my blog!

I need images of lung cancer, pictures of patients on respirators.  Take the advice of the  Food and Drug Administration.  Show people how bad things can be if they don't change.

For the last few weeks, I've stopped using logic.  I'm starting to show people examples of how poorly our equipment is current set-up.  How inconsistently.  How our newest, shiniest, most expensive production lines have no clear records of how the equipment is supposed to be set up and run.  Show them the same things that got me wound up.  Forget logic.  Show them the consequences of the status quo.  I can already see a shift in how people are reacting.  I see their shock and their recognition that we need a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment