Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Gory Details


I'm working through my work plans and commitments for the next fiscal year (July 2011- June 2012).  I've often made the commitments others asked for without clarifying everything needed to complete the job.  I'd know how to get started and have a "feeling" for the rest, but I wouldn't lay out the all the details.  I wouldn't estimate the total effort or put it in a schedule.  Then I'd find myself feeling like I'm doing great work, but I'm not meeting the goal on time.

This year, I'm trying to face the reality of what it takes to finish my goals.  As I lay out all the tasks, I'm feeling overwhelmed.  It seems impossible to get all this done in time.  

Maybe it seems impossible because it is impossible, at least with the limited resources available.  This is a good time to listen to my discomfort.  I feel that I need to narrow my goals to the most important things that I can do well and finish on time.  If these goals are narrower than my leadership initially hoped for, I need to help them see the work that is needed so that they'll either provide more resources or accept a more focused plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment