Sunday, June 26, 2011

Breakthrough


For the last week, I've struggled to document a detailed work plan for next year.  I think I've figured out why this is so hard for me. 

It feels good to make huge commitments.  It feels good to say, "yes", whenever my leadership or my customers ask for something.  Makes me feel like celebrating.  The reason I don't like to write detailed plans is that these plans show me whenever I have over-committed.  Stop celebrating, because you can't deliver this in the timing you're thinking of and with the resources you have.  "The party's over, folks!  Everyone go home!"

I felt that way many times during the last week as I laid out my plans.  The planning process forced me to admit, over and over again, that my goals were too ambitious.  I had to narrow the scope of many goals.  Focus on fewer critical things so that the new goals are realistic enough to survive the scrutiny of the planning process.

I finally have a plan created in Microsoft Project that I'm ready to propose to my boss on Monday.  It was a struggle to put together, but I'm happy with the result.  I think I've made the right compromises.  I let go of many things but kept the most important and finally ended up with something that feels right.  It feels like the right balance.  It feels like a stretching commitment to deliver some very important results, and yet it feels doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment