Friday, July 23, 2010

"Getting Things Done" for mind, heart, and soul

Obviously, I might accomplish more if I master the "Getting Things Done" (GTD) system from the book Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity.  But this isn't the main reason I want to master it.  Mostly, I'm looking for mental, emotional, and spiritual gains.  Mind, heart, and soul.

Mentally, I want to let go of all mental energy that I now apply to "making sure I don't forget something" related to possible future action.  As Allen points out in his book, most of us don't apply all of our mental energy to the current moment or the task at hand.  We divert part of our mental energy to "making sure we don't forget" promises that we made, deadlines, priorities, stuff we noticed in a huge pile of e-mails or a stack of papers, project ideas, and things we think we should do someday.  I want to use the GTD system to so that I learn to trust that my time management system is complete:  all my goals, commitments, possible tasks, deadlines, and priorities are captured and organized for easy access.  I can then relax and focus more mental energy on the CURRENT task.  This will enhance the quality and creativity of my work

Emotionally, I want to feel as if I'm in control.  I want the confidence that the thing I'm working on right now is the thing I should be working on.  I don't want to wonder if there could be 10 other things I've forgotten about that I should be doing instead.  I want to avoid the nagging suspicion that I've missed a promised deadline, disappointed someone, and I don't even realize it.  I want enough control and perspective that I easily align my actions with my core values and priorities.  I want to feel as if I can count on my self.

Spiritually, I want to empty my mind of unnecessary chatter--a key goal to deepening awareness of the present moment, both in meditation and in active engagement with the world.  The mind that is empty of needless chatter is the Buddhist's mind, the mind of peace and focus.  As I watch my own mind from day to day, and when I meditate, and when I try to fall asleep, I see that my biggest source of mental chatter, the thing that pulls my attention away from my breath, away from music, away from whatever I'm trying to focus on is thinking about all the stuff I gotta do.  If GTD helps me stop the noise, it will be worth it even if I DON'T get more things done!

No comments:

Post a Comment