Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Getting Things Done--the next focus

"Character Camp" was a great start to getting our family dynamics on the right track, but now I need to work on a breakthrough in the second biggest challenge in my life right now:  getting things done.  Getting a sense of control when I'm inundated with seemingly infinite demands, especially at work.

I'm going to try a time management system that I tried before.  In hindsight, I think I got a few benefits from my past experience with this system, but I think I would have gotten much more if I had followed the system "by the book".  I'm going to do it right this time.  The system is described in David Allen's books Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity and its sequel Making It All Work: Winning at the Game of Work and the Business of Life.

Allen focuses on the effect on the mind of having a backlog of commitments that is more than you can comprehend.  The goal of his system is to organize your backlog so that you CAN wrap your mind around it and focus on what is important right now.  He wants to free you of the nagging sense that there are many important things you are forgetting about or commitments you are failing to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment