Sunday, September 5, 2010

Flat Belly

There's nothing weird, radical, or counterintuitive about the diet that Chris and I started a few weeks ago, Flat Belly Diet!

Flat Belly Diet!

The book is based on research from Prevention magazine.  They reviewed past scientific studies regarding diets that tend to reduce belly fat, the most dangerous type of fat.  The studies showed such things as the benefit of "good fats"--the monounsaturated fats found in olive oil, fish, nuts, and avocados.  Such fats, taken with every meal, actually REDUCE belly fat.  Everything else in the diet fits with the conventional, modern nutritional wisdom:  lots of fruits and vegetables, reduce red meat, low sodium, relatively low calorie meals (about 400 calories), and the recommendation to have 3 meals AND a snack so that you don't get tempted to binge.

It seems to work for us.  In addition to losing 10 pounds, my blood pressure has dropped down into the normal range for the first time in over a decade.  My pressure has been high despite taking 3 different medications daily.  On this diet, my first number dropped about 10-15 points, and the second number has dropped 5 points.

I feel good about my weight, the change in appearance, and my reduced blood pressure.  I also feel more self-disciplined, like I'm keeping my promises to myself, because I'm having very few episodes of excess eating or drinking in which I feel as if I let myself down.  And, as I mentioned in my last blog, I don't even feel hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment