Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mozart is Easy


Recently I wrote about a key theme of the classic book What to Listen for in Music, by Aaron Copland.  He basically says, "It's the melody, stupid!"  He writes about rhythm, harmony, tone color, and classic forms and structures for sonatas, symphonies, and fugues.  But he says that, if you get nothing more from his book, realize that you can only appreciate music if you stay in touch with the melody at all times.

I've been trying to practice this on my iPhone.  I'm using the Accuradio app.  It's also available on any computer at Accurado.com.  They have a classical music station called "Mozart's Masterpieces".  The station plays nothing but Mozart, 24/7, with no commercials.

At least for me, I'm finding this station to be a perfect way to reinforce the idea that melody is what matters.  It feels very easy for me to tune into the melodies in everything Mozart composed.  I'm not a classical music expert and often don't "get" a piece.  But I'm finding listening for melodies in Mozart's music to be about as easy as enjoying the Beatles.  It's all SO GORGEOUS that there is no big effort involved.  Just tune into the melody of almost any piece--notice every note--for 30 seconds and I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment