Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Leading with Feeling

I've been writing recently about research showing that, even if people compare options using reason, they DECIDE using emotion.  This concept has made me think about how I try to lead at work--often emphasizing reason much more than emotion.  I expect people to just salute and say, "Yes, SIR!" based on a logical argument, but I often have trouble getting folks to buy in, and I think it's because I don't appeal enough to their emotions.

 Here's an excerpt from page 6 of one of my favorite books about leading an organization through major changes, The Heart of Change Field Guide: Tools And Tactics for Leading Change in Your Organization

"Two approaches can be used in change efforts:  analysis-think-change and  see-feel-change . . . Changing behavior is less a matter of giving people analysis to influence their thoughts than it is helping them to see a truth that will influence their feelings.  Both thinking and feeling are essential, and both are found in successful organizations, but the true heart of change is in our emotions.  The flow of see-feel-change is more powerful than that of analysis-think-change."

No comments:

Post a Comment