Thursday, December 30, 2010

Irrational, Part 2


As I wrote in my last posting, I need to negotiate soon with someone who has, I feel, severe psychological issues.  I need his cooperation to reach a goal that matters a lot to me.

To negotiate with this person, I need to first address some relationship issues.  We don't need to become best friends.  But I need to address relationship issues that bear directly on my goal.

It isn't going to be easy.  When I listen to his perceptions of the situation, I expect to have to sift through mountains of paranoia and unjust accusations just to find scraps of sound reason.  I have to look for those scraps.  I have to acknowledge that those scraps make some sense, that I can see why he'd think those things.  Only if I do this with real sincerity will he believe that I respect his point of view.  Real sincerity.  I can't shortcut this process.  If he feels that I'm really listening to him and giving him some credit for his point of view on SOME things, there is a chance he'll listen when I completely dismiss his point of view in OTHER areas.

Overall, I'd say the odds of success aren't very high.  I can be patient.  I can listen.  I can acknowledge.  I can express my point of view respectfully.  But I'm guessing that this other person still will not budge.  I just need to know that I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment