Saturday, May 15, 2010

Train them BEFORE asking for input

In my last blog, I talked about trying to get my teams more engaged by involving them more in creating our goals and strategies.  I think it's starting to work, but I did have a setback that taught me a lesson.

A team member called me about a concern she had.  She was very agitated, and I couldn't understand why.  After 15 minutes of probing, I realized she completely misunderstood several fundamental aspects of the project.  I was shocked at how far off she was on many of her assumptions.

But I immediately felt it wasn't her fault.  I felt a bit embarrassed.  I think she's bright.  I think I tend to underestimate how much training people need when they join a team.  I need to give this training, check for understanding, and THEN, when I ask for input on our goals and strategies, they'll speak with knowledge and that knowledge will give them confidence and increase the quality of what they contribute to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment