Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Care free

I'm traveling on business, and my wife, Chris, is with me for a change.  My beloved sister is at the house taking care of the kids and the dogs, so Chris and I are alone for 5 days--longer than we've been alone together since the first child was born 13 years ago.

We are both struck with the novelty of how care-free we feel.  We are giddy.  We'd forgotten how it feels to not be focused on caring for others.  We love being parents and pet owners, but it's a pleasure to take a break, to let go of these responsibilities, and to just enjoy being together.

We really forgot what this feels like.  It is SO different, we're thinking that--on the flip side--people who have no kids have NO idea what it feels like to be constantly concerned with their needs.

I swear Chris looks 15 years younger today, and so do I!

This is a business trip.  I'm working 10 to 12 hours per day.  But it doesn't matter.  We still went to dinner tonight and toasted to feeling care free.

And then we had a second toast.  I raised my glass:  "To capturing this feeling and finding a way to maintain it when we go back to our normal lives.  To--somehow--feeling care free when we're once again hovering over the kids and the dogs . . . CHEERS!!!!!"

1 comment:

  1. Ben and Chris,

    Congrats on getting away for a few days alone. I can't believe this is the first time! It's truly a wonderful feeling to feel so carefree and relaxed. You won't wait another 13 years to do it again.

    I can't wait to follow up on your second toast and see if you are able to maintain the feeling once you return home to kids and dogs. If you do, I have to find out the secret.

    ReplyDelete