Sunday, April 24, 2011

You're Hired!!!!


For the last 2 weeks, my top priority has been picking the right candidate for an important job.  There is a lot of risk in this hiring decision.  As of right now, none of the candidates has the skills and knowledge to do the job.  So I've had to decide based on my best guess about potential.

I think I have my man.  I had been thinking for 2 weeks about the recommendations regarding interviews of the book Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance  The author says that your top priority in interviews should be to find out whether the TASKS that the job requires are the types of tasks that the person has shown himself to be attracted to.


  1. In this person's history, have they tended to volunteer for similar tasks?  
  2. Explore what activities the person finds most rewarding.  Will this job provide similar rewards?
  3. What activities has the person been successful doing.  Will similar things be required by this job?
If the answers to the three questions above is yes, then the job applicant has strengths in the types of activities the job requires.  I just finished the interviews, and  I think I one of the candidates has the strengths needed for the job.  He does not yet have the skills and knowledge.  But I think the job fits his strengths so well that he'll train himself with the intensity of an athlete preparing for the Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment