Monday, April 18, 2011

The Messages We Send


Last week, I had some training at work based on the book The Corporate Athlete: How to Achieve Maximal Performance in Business and Life.  I found one exercise especially thought provoking.  We each had to list our bad habits and why we find each habit attractive and hard to quit.  Then we had to think about the messages each habit sends to the people around us.

This part of the exercise had an impact on me.  What message do I send my co-workers if I go to a meeting and catch up on my e-mails?  What message do I send my kids if I have a few drinks because I'm upset?  I think my bad habits are relatively innocent, and I have lots of great habits, too.  But when I think about the messages my worst habits send to friends and family, I feel motivated to change.

The instructor described a study of people trying to quit smoking.  What group of people has had by far the most success quitting smoking?   Pregnant women.  Sometimes knowing what your habits do to others is more compelling than knowing what your habits do to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment