Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can you love this job?


I have to interview three people next week for a critical job.  I'll be working with them for the next five years or so.  If I pick the right person, they'll make my life easier.  Pick the wrong person, and I'll work harder than ever as I try to get them to deliver.

It won't be easy because none of the candidates has the skills and knowledge to hit the ground running.  I'll have to pick based on my guess about their potential versus picking based on what they've already shown they can do.

Traditionally, people will hire someone based on the answer to this question, "Do I think they can do the job?"  I need to change the question.  "Do I think they can love the job?"

This is the recommended hiring strategy from the book Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance  The author says that most Human Resource departments put too much emphasis on whether the candidate has skills and knowledge.  Not enough emphasis on how the candidate FEELS about the work.

It won't be easy to assess how they feel.  But my goal next week is to explore more than each candidate's relevant skill and knowledge.  I need to look for evidence that they LIKE this kind of work.  If so, the work may line up with their personalities.  If it does, that's more than half the battle.  Skills and knowledge can be developed.  Passion cannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment