Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sarcastic Socrates?


Socrates taught others by asking someone question after question.  Eventually, the other person figures out the truth without being told directly.  As I described in my last blog, Steven Vannoy, in his book The 10 Greatest Gifts I Give My Children: Parenting from the Heart, recommends we teach our children the same way.  Ask, "Why do you think this is important ?", or "How do you think that makes him feel?", until the child figures out the best way to act

When my kids do something wrong, it can get tempting to use sarcasm when I ask them these questions.  "How do you think mom felt when you do THAT?"  But I doubt Socrates asked his questions with an angry or sarcastic tone.  If he had done that, the other person might answer briefly or not at all.  His teaching method would have failed.  Similarly, my kids will shut down if I ask them questions with anger or sarcasm.  I need to project patience and genuine interest in their response.

So far this seems to be working.  The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes, for the sake of time, I have to say, "Just do this now because I said so!"  Or, "Stop it, right now!"  That's OK as long as I follow up later with questions.  "Why do you think I had to make you stop?  What might have gone wrong if you had kept going?"

No comments:

Post a Comment