Monday, October 11, 2010

Wordless affirmations



I'm trying to cultivate several important new habits:  a better diet, better nutrition, teaching by asking questions, steering conversations toward positive topics, and negotiating more often to get my needs met.  These things don't come naturally for me.  How do I remind myself to behave in these new ways?

Lots of people like to use affirmations.  They regularly review positive statements such as, "I am eating well to promote my health."  These don't work for me.  They feel lame.  They remind me of comedian Al Franken's spoof in which he says, "I'm good enough.  I'm smart enough. And Gosh darn it, people like me!"

I'm getting more out of pinning pictures to my cubicle wall, just to the left of my monitor.  The pictures remind me of the things I'm working on.  An image of 2 people negotiating reminds me of my commitment to engage more instead of complaining passively about the decisions others make that hamper my work.  An image of Socrates reminds me to teach and lead by asking questions versus telling people what I think needs to be done.  The smiley face reminds me to focus on the positive during conversations, to change the subject gently when people are focusing on what's wrong and who they don't like and instead move to what's working well and who they do like.

Every time I notice these images, I instantly remember the habit I'm trying to develop, without having to say to myself, over and over, "I'm focusing on the positive", or "I'm teaching with questions", or other affirmations that feel forced and unnatural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment