Wednesday, June 2, 2010

TV and teenagers

Summer vacation just started for my boys and with it comes the usual danger:

  • the kids spending too much free time on TV, Internet, and videogames
We just set daily limits for the kids.  We're probably not being strict enough, but setting these limits got me thinking about why all the experts say too much time with electronics is bad for kids.

When kids watch TV or play videogames,  they get stimulation without any effort.  They don't need to travel anywhere to explore new environments.  Just point and click with the remote control.  The TV has virtual "friends" going out of their way to humor or thrill my kids.  These virtual "friends" on the TV screen ask for nothing in return; my kids don't have to listen to them, treat them with respect, or consider their feelings.

If I limit their electricity, my kids get bored, and boredom can be wonderful!  To get the stimulation they crave, my kids have to go to the neighborhood pool and engage with real people!  Imagine that!  People who aren't going to put up with rudeness, who expect to take turns speaking, who expect to be treated fairly, and who will give them feedback if they don't like the way my kids are acting.  What a great way for them to learn social skills!

Similarly, if their environment is boring them, they have to get off the couch, go outside, and explore new places and activities.  Exercise!  Effort!  And best of all, they are exploring REALITY instead of VIRTUAL REALITY.

This all seems obvious, but I guess I never thought as clearly before about how time with TV is time that should have been spent exploring new places, new activities, and new social interactions.  I never realized that the gift of limited TV and videogame time is BOREDOM--a boredom that inspires kids to engage with the world.

2 comments: