Sunday, December 16, 2012

Timers and Trust


I use the "Joseph-Joseph" timer shown in this picture to control how much time I spend writing this blog and doing volunteer work.  A timer helps me budget my time.  Without a timer, I'm likely to drastically "overspend" my time on these interests, leaving insufficient time for family, chores, and fun.

The timer creates trust.  I set a budget:  30 minutes to write a blog about once per week, and 30 minutes almost daily on my new volunteer role.  Then I have to be strict.  When the "Joseph-Joseph" rings, I have to stop.  No rewinding, no "just a few more minutes".  Develop a consistent habit of stopping immediately.

When I'm consistent about this, week after week, lots of good things happen.  Most important, I gain trust.  My family starts to trust that I won't get carried away and forget about them.  And I start to trust myself that I'll limit my time appropriately.  Another benefit is that, when the clock is ticking, I'm extremely focused.  I know that this is the only time I'm going to get to do this work so I'm fully engaged and efficient.

I wouldn't want to be a slave to a stopwatch on everything.  Most things at home are free flowing, spending whatever time I feel like spending.  But some activities matter to me and to nobody else in the house.  These are the activities that need strict time management so that the time I spend on them is in synch with my priorities and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment