Sunday, December 2, 2012

On your mark! Get set . . .


Whenever I've done volunteer work for the last 20 years, I've had a horrible tendency to get carried away.  I"ve spent WAY too much time on the volunteer work at the expense of quality time with my family.   Now that I'm taking on this new volunteer role starting in January, how will I avoid making the same mistake?  I'm not the only one worried about this.  My wife and kids are worried; I think even the dogs wonder if I'll remember to feed them.

I feel confident that it will be different this time in part because of how I'm setting up my work area at home.  I've set up my desk with two computer monitors and a phone so that I can communicate easily and can have as many files and websites open as I need.  But, more importantly, I have my "Joseph-Joseph" timer shown in the picture above.  Wind it up, work for 30 minutes, and walk away.  No more losing track of time.  When it rings, I stop and go back to my wife and kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment