Thursday, March 29, 2012

Doing Nothing, Every Day


Not all day, of course.  But at least once--preferably twice--per day, I need to do nothing.  For 10-20 minutes, give myself permission to let everything go.  Family.  Work.  Volunteer work.  Chores.  Don't even think about, "Later on I better remember to . . ."  Let it all go.  Derail the train of constant mental chatter and planning and remembering and hoping and worrying and just tune in to my breathing, instrumental music, nature, or whatever.

My family is on vacation in Lexington Kentucky this week.  At times, I've had trouble keeping thoughts of work and volunteer projects out of my head.  This morning I was meditating by the fountains in Triangle Park.  Thoughts of several projects kept popping up, unwelcome, into my head.  So I just started repeating to myself the mantra, "I don't have to do anything right now.  I don't have to do anything. . ."  And finally I was able to get fully absorbed in the sound and the sight of the rushing water.


No comments:

Post a Comment