Wednesday, January 11, 2012

First, lose the weight. Then silence the critics.


I've lost 8 pounds since I started a low carb diet 9 days ago.  I'll continue with very low carbs until my Body Mass Index (BMI) falls well within the "Normal" range.  What they call "Normal" is actually quite thin, but I still hope to get at least into the upper half of the range.  See the following hyperlink:  "BMI Calculator".

Once I lose the weight, then what?  Then I have to silence the critics.  Most "experts"--doctors, the American Heart Association, the US Department of Agriculture with it's "Food Pyramid"--most of these experts condemn low carb diets.  Do I think that the conventional wisdom is wrong?  

Yes.  Personally I think the minority of experts and studies cited in books such as "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About it", by Gary Taubes, make a far more convincing case.  Here, for example, is a link to a Stanford University study comparing low carb Atkins to other diets:  A to Z Diet Study.    The study evaluated over 300 people who followed 5 popular diets for a year.  The study unexpectedly found people who followed an Atkins Diet had far better cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure than those who followed higher carb diets, such as those of Dr. Ornish, whose diet most experts regard as far healthier.  Here is a quote from the "A to Z Diet Study":  The recent trials, like the current study, have consistently reported that triglycerides, HDL-C, blood pressure, and measures of insulin resistance either were not significantly different or were more favorable for the very-low-carbohydrate groups.

Although I believe that, when it comes to low carb diets, the majority of experts are wrong and the minority are right, although I buy the arguments of Taubes, Atkins, and other low carb advocates, I can't help but feel the heat of the critics.  They make me have doubts.  So once I reach my target weight, I need to silence them, or at least to silence the doubts they plant in my head.

I've been eating nothing but meats, proteins, cheese, and almost all vegetables except carrots, corns and root vegetables such as potatoes.  I'll keep doing this for a month or two until I'm at my target weight.  Then I'll start to hear critics in my head.  
  • Dr. Oz will say, "What about anti-oxidants from fruit?"  No problem.  I'll add back in the fruits with the most anti-oxidants per carb:  berries such as raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries.  They'll go great with my salads.  
  • Mediterranean and Flat Belly Diet advocates will say, "Are you getting enough healthy fats?"  I can respond that I'm already getting Omega 3 fatty acids from leafy greens.  But I'm happy to use olive oil in dressings and cooking, to eat avocados.  I love walnuts and almonds in my salads and my yogurt and as a snack.  And, whenever possible, I eat fish rather than hamburger or steak.
  • The Complex Carb advocates will say, "How can you get enough fiber?"  I can respond that I have a ton of vegetables and a little bit of fruit each day.  And I might be willing to sprinkle high fiber oat bran in my yogurt to give it some crunch.
  • Finally the French will say, "But monsieur!!!!!  Studies show a link between longer lifespans and enjoyment of 1-2 alcoholic beverages per day.  Our approach in France is especially healthy because of the antioxidant resveratol in our red wine".  I'll reply:  Voila!  I have a solution!  I'll have a glass or two of red wine every day.  As long as my weight doesn't go up, I'm willing to make this sacrifice to silence the French.
At this point, what do the critics have left to throw at me?  The lack of cookies, crackers, pasta, desserts, potatoes, rice, sweet fruits, and other sugars and starches in my diet?  Sorry, but none of these provide essential nutrients that I can't get elsewhere in my diet.  And, due to their sugars and starches, they are the root cause of obesity, diabetes, and are linked to cancer and other illnesses rarely seen in low carb cultures.  As a final act to silence the critics, I'll schedule a full lipids blood test with my doctor and fully expect to find better cholesterol and triglycerides than in last year's test.

No comments:

Post a Comment