Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The other "Hows" of Happiness

Of all the techniques for increasing happiness in the book The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want, I'm putting most of my focus on the techniques involving regularly counting my blessings, imagining future success, practicing good deeds, and investing in relationships--especially beyond my immediate family.  Of all the "hows" that this book says are experimentally proven to boost happiness, these "hows" seem to have the most potential for me.

But before I move on to other books in this blog, I should list the other "secrets of happiness" described in this book.  For me, they either are something I already do reasonably often or things that will get "covered" by the practices that I have decided to focus on.  The techniques are:


  • "Avoid Overthinking" (especially anxious, guilty, or regretful thoughts)
  • "Develop Strategies for Coping"
  • "Learning to Forgive"
  • "Increasing Flow Experiences" (activities where you lose yourself in what you're doing)
  • "Savoring Life's Joys"
  • "Committing to Your Goals".
  • "Practice Religion and Spirituality".
  • "Meditate"
  • "Physical Exercise"
  • "Act Like a Happy Person"

No comments:

Post a Comment