Saturday, November 6, 2010

Knowing where I'm going


I wrote last time about research showing that people are measurably happier if they spend a few minutes writing about how they would like their future to turn out.  Look ahead a few months, a year, maybe 5 years.

I think this would help me in two ways.  Not only would I be happier.  But I might do a better job of figuring out what I want long term.  I tend to focus on just the next month or two, without a clear plan for the long term.  Sometimes I think this hurts me at work.  I've had bosses who greatly appreciate the work I'm doing now but seem frustrated because they don't understand my long term vision for the areas I'm responsible to lead.  It probably hurts me at home, too.  Where do I want our family to go on vacation before the kids go off to college in five years?  What are our other long term goals?  It often seems that my wife does this longer term planning while I just play it by ear.  Spending time once per week picturing the future could help me get more control of the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment