Sunday, July 28, 2013

Remember to Relax



I need to develop another new, good habit.  As I've described in my blog over the last couple of months, I've become a firm believer in the idea that self discipline grows best when we develop just one new habit at a time.  Once we add the good, new habit to all our other habits--once the new habit becomes automatic--we have the time and energy to start working on a new habit.

For all of May and June and part of July, I developed a new habit of keeping my email inboxes under control.  This is becoming automatic now.  So I've got a new habit I'm working on:  relaxing.

Specifically, I've been trying, at least 10 times per day, to consciously take some time to relax.  This could be as simple as remembering, when driving, to take a few deep breaths, check for and release any muscle tension, smile slightly, and say to myself, "Even in this traffic jam, I'm completely relaxed and in control."  It might take less than 20 seconds but it feels to me as if it still "counts".  It still feels valuable.  I can tell that these short relaxation exercises are reducing my stress, improving my concentration and my sense of ease in life.

I have meditated for 10-15 minutes almost every morning for several years.  But when this was the ONLY conscious relaxation I did in my day, I found that--by itself--it did not create a sense of calm that would last all day.  Through trial and error over the last few weeks, I've found that what works better for me is to meditate early in the day and then have at least 9 additional relaxation breaks.

How do I keep count?  How do I know that I've met my goal?  I tried an iPhone app called "Clicker Plus".  I'd reset the "counter" to zero in the morning, then open the app and click the "Increase" button each time I meditated, relaxed at a meeting, relaxed at a meal or when talking to friends.  But I found it took a few too many clicks to unlock the screen, open the app, etc.  I wasn't using it because it just wasn't easy enough.



So I bought a "GoGo Digital Counter".  Hide it in a pocket, pull it out, press the big blue button, and I'm done.  Other than the occasional accidental counts while the Counter is still in my pocket, this is working great.  As soon as I meet my minimum goal of 10, I usually continue remembering to relax throughout the day, but I stop counting, knowing that I've met my goal for the day.  I've relaxed often enough to make a difference in how peaceful I feel all day long.  I don't think I'll be doing this "counting" forever; I just need help from this little, cheap device to make deep relaxation a lifelong habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment