Sunday, June 9, 2013

Perpendicular Parking


For the last few monhts, I've been teaching my 16 year old how to drive.  Tomorrow he'll start a 4 hours per day, 6 day AAA Driving School course.  I realized I'd neglected to give him any lessons in parallel parking.  It was time to start.

We found the perfect setup.  A short dead end street with two trucks nicely spaced apart at the university campus on a Sunday.  Nobody likely to use the trucks until Monday.  My son could practice over and over without the pressure of traffic behind him or any risk that someone owning one of the trucks would ask us what the _____ we were doing.

My son was doing OK, but he just wasn't turning the steering wheel enough to get close to the curb.  I told him, "Turn it all the way to the right so you get close enough, then turn it to the left."

Bad advice.  I laughed until I cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment