Saturday, April 6, 2013

3 Most Important Questions


"The 3 Most Important Questions" is one of the guided meditations in the new iPhone App "Omvana".  It has made a big impression on me.  For the last few months, I've been trying to improve how well I use my imagination to picture the changes I'd like to see at home and at work.  This meditation gave me a completely different perspective on how to do this.

The author, Vishen Lakhiani, believes that there are 3 key questions to ask as you imagine your ideal future:

  1. What experiences do you want to have?  Both short and long term, what places do you want to visit or live in?  Ideal living conditions?  Achievements?  Adventures?  Fun?
  2. How do you want to grow?   Skills and knowledge you want to master?  What kind of person do you want to be?  What is your ideal self?
  3. What do you want to contribute?  How to help your family, your community?  What kind of legacy do you want to leave.
Lakhiani believes that there are what he calls "end goals" and "means goals".  He feels it is most important that we define the "end goals" first.  Only then should we define the "means goals" that get us there.  Further, he says that there are three distinct types of end goals:  experience goals, growth goals, and contribution goals.  For me, I find it important to look at these both short term (the next week or month) and long term.

I've asked myself Lakhiani's 3 questions many times now, and that when I structure my time envisioning the future in this way, it unlocks my imagination.  More ideas flow.

I started thinking, "Who is Lakhiani?" There seems to be more depth here than the typical guided meditation on an iPhone app.  I'm a positive psychology book junkie, and I've never heard these ideas put this way.  I found that he's a former Microsoft employee who decided to form his own internet company, "Mindvalley", and that now he's a top motivational speaker.  Here's a link to his video explaining his "3 Most Important Questions" ideas.




No comments:

Post a Comment