Saturday, July 21, 2012

For the Body


What are my healthiest habits, the ones that have nurtured the body (or at least the face) that you see above? 
Plenty of people have much better fitness habits than I do.  They go to the gym every day.  They only eat organic free range vegetables.  They have one drink per year--a glass of champagne on the 31st of December--to welcome another year of effortless discipline.

I hate these people.  But, seriously, I think there is nothing wrong with coming up with habits that fits my priorities and schedule. Here is what is working for me:

(1) Get a guilt partner 
My wife is my guilt partner.  On any given day--hopefully--one of us will feel like exercising and will taunt the other mercilessly until they agree to join in.  We might still look at each later and say, "Are we sure we want to do this?"  But without guilt, we wouldn't even get as far as this conversation.


(2) Tele-fitness
I've decided that I need to do SOME kind of exercise each day, even if it's just a one mile walk.
New rule:  if I decide to watch a TV show at night and I haven't exercised at all that day, I have to work out while watching my show.  No excuses.  If I have time to watch the show, then I have time to exercise during the show.  If I worked on the upper body yesterday, I can do the lower body today.  Or yoga.  Or ab work.  No excuses.

(4) Low carb diet, but without high animal fat
No potatoes, no pasta, no rice, no desert, no junk food.
Everything else is OK, but I don't overdo the cheese, red meat, and eggs.  


I started eating this way right after New Years Day this year.  I've maintained an 11-14 pound weight loss ever since.  I look nothing like the picture at the start of this blog posting, but at least my Body Mass Index now stays inside the "Normal" range.




No comments:

Post a Comment