Friday, November 11, 2011

Relaxation Role Model



My first dog, Wally, was a role model of relaxation.  If only I could--like Wally--get worked up only when a real threat exists.  If I could just relax the rest of the time.

I could see Wally's peacefulness in his body.  I could feel it when I'd pet him and his skin moved so freely and loosely under my hand.  I could not imagine him tensing up unless there were strangers or unfamiliar sights or sounds that might pose a threat.

As I've been working the last few months on relaxing deeply several times a day, I've more often noticed myself needlessly tensing muscles when walking, driving, talking, working.  At these times, I'll consciously loosen up and it NEVER makes me less effective at whatever I was trying to do.  But I've got a long way to go before I can match the natural calm of a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment