Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Control what you can control


My last 2 posts have been about those outcomes that lie completely or almost completely within my control.   Yesterday I was listening to the audiobook "Open-An Autobiography", by tennis great Andre Agassi.

Aggasi said it best.  Before each match, he reminds himself over and over again.  "Control what you can control."

Aggasi writes, "Given all the things that lie beyond my control, I obsess about the few things I can control."  The tension in the strings of his racquets.  The liquids he mixes to keep himself hydrated.  The precise way he packs his tennis bag.  The 22 minute shower he uses to visualize success in the match.  And the effort he puts into each point, as if each point were the last.

The weather, the court conditions, the close line calls, and above all his opponent were beyond his control.  But Aggasi succeeded by focusing on what he could control.

No comments:

Post a Comment