Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Daily Prediction


I've started making a prediction every morning:  what am I going to get done today?

Seems pretty basic.  But I haven't always done this.  Sometimes I just plunge ahead, attacking items on the To-Do List without forecasting what I REALLY expect to finish. Then, at the end of the day, I might feel disappointed.  In hindsight, I didn't get enough done, I'm in trouble with some deadlines, and I feel more overwhelmed than when I started.

Lately, I've been looking at the list in the morning and predicting the 2-4 things that I can picture myself finishing before the end of the day.  I try to be honest with myself, "Can I really get these things done given all my appointments and other distractions?"  I pick the items carefully.  "Which tasks are going to give me the biggest feelings of accomplishment and relief if I get them done?" I'm finding that my judgment is pretty good.  I can almost always get the tasks done.  And it makes me feel competent and in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment