Thursday, February 17, 2011

Breathing the sky


Tonight was finally warm enough to meditate outside so I lay in a "zero gravity" lounge chair on the deck, let my body sink into the chair, let my breathing slow down and even stall between breaths, and watched the bare branches of several trees sway in the breeze.  It was twilight.  The branches were darkly silhouetted against the dim, mauve sky and clouds.  Branches from multiple trees overlapped so that you could hardly tell where one tree ended and another started.  As the wind blew hard, watching the moving black shapes was like watching a giant, pulsating spider web.  I was reminded of the patterns of movement and energy I saw in the ocean during a recent trip to California.

At this time, it was easy to imagine that as I was breathing in and out, I was breathing with the entire sky.  I was not bounded by my body.  I was bounded by the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment