Saturday, January 29, 2011

Too busy for pleasure


In his book Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment, Martin Seligman, one of the founders of "Positive Psychology", urges readers to, "Inject into your life as many events that produce pleasure as you can", but who has the time?

We tend to be too busy to take enough time for pleasure.  Seligman defines pleasures as activities that primarily make us feel good because of what we take in with our senses:  taste, touch, sight, and smell.  To maximize pleasure, he recommends slowing down, "savoring", concentrating on the sensations to deepen the joy they bring us.

But we don't slow down enough to savor our pleasures.  I know I'm terrible about eating food mindfully.  I rush through it, missing the opportunity to appreciate the tastes and aromas.  More than that, I miss the many other benefits of eating slowly.  As described in many books I've read (The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin PersonSavor: Mindful Eating, Mindful LifeFlat Belly Diet!) research shows that people who eat slowly, mindfully not only enjoy it more, but they also eat less because there is more time for them to recognize that their bellies are full.

Even when I take enough time for pleasure, my overachieving nature can keep me from enjoying it fully.  I'm still trying to DO something, instead of joyfully RECEIVING something.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this.  If I meditate, I'm trying to meditate "skillfully" instead of just enjoying my breathing.  If I'm listening to music on Internet radio, and I hear a beautiful piece, within seconds I'm reading about the composer and the piece, turning what should be a pleasure into a task, the task of educating myself about music.  If I go to an art museum, I might read about the paintings before I look closely at them.  It would be better to look at a painting first, note what it does to my emotions, and walk away knowing nothing about the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment