Saturday, August 14, 2010

Why add even more to an overflowing inbox?

In hindsight, my last blog never explained why the Getting Things Done work flow starts with collecting MORE stuff to put in your inbox.  This "capturing" and "collecting" process has often felt like I'm shoveling dirt on myself when I already feel buried.  But I think I know why it works out well in the long run.  The stuff you want to capture is stuff that is bugging you anyway.  As David Allen repeats over and over in his books, "Pay attention to what has your attention".  I'm not really piling on new stuff.  This stuff is already weighing me down, dragging on my consciousness.  It's the stereo receiver I bought at a yard sale that I've been meaning to hook up, and it annoys me every time I see it still laying on the floor.  It's all the pretty silver pitchers and platters in the dining room that should have been polished a month ago.  It's the garbage on the floor of my car and Chris's car.  The point of "capturing" is to place reminders of all the things that I need to address in a central inbox so that I'm in a better position to review them later and figure out exactly what I'm going to do and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment