Saturday, April 24, 2010

More Elephant Stomping

I had more opportunities in the last few days to practice maintaining awareness of the idea that the people around me are naturally motivated.  I was trying to solve a problem on one of the worst performing production lines in a poor performing plant.  The plant has had a dysfunctional culture for many years.  They can't seem to complete any follow-ups, define any problems, use logic, or come up with solid action plans.  I always thought of the culture as being passive-aggressive with outsiders, nodding when they hear recommendations but having no intention of following through.  I knew before I flew down there on Monday that it was going to be a challenge to look at these folks and convince myself, "These people are naturally motivated.  All I need to do is convince them that something will lead to a great result, and they will want to do it."

I repeated the mantra to myself over and over as I worked on the factory floor, "They want what is best.  They want the line to run well.  They are motivated to contribute more to the company than they have before, and they want to make life at the plant more pleasant for everyone."

Did it work?  At a minimum, I felt that they sensed and appreciated the positive nature of my thoughts.  They felt that I was focusing on our common ground.  Our common desire for more success, better performance, and a better work environment.  Our common human condition.  Theirs is an unhealthy work culture, with self-defeating habits and attitudes.  They may no longer believe that they can solve their problems.  But the desire to be released of these problems, the desire to perform, the desire to have an enjoyable experience at work never goes away.  Hope fades, but the desire remains.  And this is what I tried to focus on--not the doubts or sarcasm or feelings of futility.  But the fact that we all wanted the same thing.  And then I sent the message that I was there to help them achieve that thing.

I did, in fact, solve several problems.  And they were motivated to help, at least while I was there.  I'm sure they will still be dysfunctional when it comes to completing tasks while I'm not there.  But the working experience was pleasant, I felt appreciated, and they were willing to align to my recommendations the whole time I was there.  It definitely felt like a better experience than some of my past visits in which I've focused more on the negativity.  Forget the negativity.  Look past it at the shared desire for something better, and emphasize that in all of my communication to awaken the motivation that has been buried by years of hopelessness.

No comments:

Post a Comment