Thursday, June 14, 2018

How to Take a Break


In my last post "10 Deadlines Per Day", I wrote about the value of working just 30 minutes at a time followed by some type of break or reward.  As I've been practicing this at work, I've been learning "how to take a break".

When I'm in the office and need a break, I can't take a nap or check Facebook.  I'm "on the clock".  My breaks should be for important personal needs (mind, spirit, family) or should be enjoyable but connected to work.  So far, these are some of the things that have worked for me:


  • Walk all the hallways in the building for a couple of thousand steps.  Socialize, but look for opportunities to address work priorities.
  • Walk outdoors
  • Research topics or skills that fit work priorities AND that I find interesting or fun
  • Call my wife or text my kids
  • Write in a work journal
  • Meditate

No comments:

Post a Comment