Sunday, June 1, 2014

Weekly Writing Habits




Research shows that happiness grows if you write every week about things you are grateful for.  And it grows if you imagine an ideal future, if you write about short term goals, if you reflect on what is most important right now in each area of your life, and if you take the time to think through strategies.

But how can I remember to do ALL this writing and analysis regularly?  How can I keep track of it all?  I can't usually find the time to write about ALL these things every day.  If I have to write about different things on different days, how do I choose what to write about any given day?  And how can I be sure that, over time, I'm thinking through and writing about all these things in a balanced way?

For the last few months, I've had success using Microsoft One Note on my computer to help remember to write about different things each day of the week.  My new system makes it easy to ensure that I usually spend SOME time every week writing in each area.  If I'm super busy one day, I might miss the chance, for example, to write that week about what I'm grateful for.  But I'm unlikely to forget any topic 2 weeks in a row.  The balance is there, and I'm noticing benefits in how I feel and think.

Below is a screen shot from my "Journals" in Microsoft One Note. Sunday is "Sunny" for optimism: I write about best possible outcomes in the near future at work, at home, and in volunteer work.  Monday is "Milestones":  key things to accomplish soon.  Good thing to think about early in a work week.  Tuesday is "Truth":  what truths do I need to confront or communicate that I've resisted?  Wednesday is "Working":  what is working well in different parts of my life that I should do more of to get even more success?  Thursday is "Thanks":  what am I grateful for?  Friday is "Focus":  What is most important right now?  What should I give attention to at the expense of less important goals?  Finally, Saturday is "Strategy":  What are some of the strategies and plans that will move me toward my goals?




No comments:

Post a Comment