Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Psychology of Time


I just finished "The Time Paradox: the New Psychology of Time", by Philip Zimbardo.  He's the Stanford professor who did the famous experiment in 1971 with students pretending to be either prisoners or guards. As described in this link (Stanford Prison Experiment), the experiment was aborted in 6 days because the guards became sadistic and the prisoners depressed even though they know it was make believe.

For the last 30+ years, Zimbardo focused his research on the psychology of time.  What are people's attitudes toward the past, present, and future?  Is there a way to measure these attitudes?  What attitudes or perspectives are healthy and which are unhealthy?

Zimbardo developed a test that you can take in about 10 minutes for free at this website:  "Zimbardo Time Perspective Inventory".  Everyone in our family took the test as I was reading the book.  It gives you a score in each of 5 areas:  2 related to the past, 2 to the present, and 1 for the future.  And it gives a ballpark "ideal" score for all of these.

My results?  Good, low score for "Past Negative".  I don't dwell on regrets.  But not high enough for "Past Positive".  Based on my score, I don't have enough warm memories that I enjoy reliving.  I never felt that this matters too much because I focus on present and future, but the authors describe lots of positive benefits to occasionally reliving memories of family, friends, and fun to build roots, traditions, connections, and community.  If you don't do this habitually, they say that you can strengthen this part of your time perspective through gratitude journals and simple practice recalling good things from the past.

Good, low score for "Present Fatalistic".  I don't feel at the mercy of fate.  High score for "Present Hedonistic" but not high enough.  Zimbardo would say I need to party more.  More focus on fun, joy, pleasure.

High score for the fifth and final category "Future".  So this helps with goal setting and planning.  But my score's a bit TOO high according to them.  They say that if your score is too high, you might have a tendency to accept too many responsibilities, too many projects.  I'm sure my wife and kids would agree.  Zimbardo's recommendation if your "Future" score is too high?  Just say no.





No comments:

Post a Comment