Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Experiences out of nowhere


Mindfulness meditation is really about stopping all tasks to notice EVERYTHING that comes up during your practice:  thoughts, emotions, muscle tension, noises, aches, pleasure, and pain.  It's about being passive and watching what experiences arise spontaneously like clouds moving in and out of the sky.

I've practiced this much more often in the last couple of months because I've been too busy NOT to meditate.  It's the only thing that got me through some major deadlines both at work and outside of work co-chairing a large fundraiser for my neighborhood.  Without meditation, my mind would have constantly been bombarded by thoughts of tasks I needed to do, deadlines, unanswered e-mails, and the feeling that I could not possibly get it all done.

Mindfulness meditation gave me at least two breaks per day when I could let it all go and get grounded again in my body, my heart, and my mind.

The major deadlines are done, but this is a habit I intend to keep.  Meditating once per day--my old habit--is not enough.  Once in the morning starts me off on a relaxed tone.  By the early evening, however, the constant drumbeat of task after task after task has usually caused me to lose much of my self-awareness.  Another shot of meditation gets me grounded again for the evening and for a more restful sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment